Try this warming and nutritious bowl of noodle soup with the addition of Green Sencha Tea. You can use a variety of noodles and skip the chicken to make it veggie. It’s the perfect healthy mid-week dinner and is full of antioxidants thanks to the green tea.
- 3 heaped tsp. Sencha Green Tea
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2cm knob of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 5 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 200 grams dried noodles (soba noodles or round egg noodles will work well)
- 4 bok choy
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons crisp fried shallots
- Brew the green tea preferably Sencha with 1 litre of hot water. Let infuse for 3 minutes and strain into a pot.
- Pour the green tea and chicken stock into a medium-sized saucepan and add the garlic, ginger, soy and fish sauces.
- Bring the liquid to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Taste the broth and season with a little salt if needed.
- Add the mushrooms, chicken and noodles to the pan and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through and the noodles tender.
- Cut the bok choy in half lengthways and add to the pan for the last few minutes of cooking.
- Distribute the chicken, noodles and vegetables between 4 bowls and then pour over the liquid.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves and shallots to serve. Add sliced chilli if you like a little spice.
- Serve and enjoy!